Sunday, September 21, 2008

Calvi


the Calvi citadel from the beach

Calvi is a coastal town on the French isle of Corsica. I was there about 5 or 6 times on holiday, many years ago. It just gives me some silly romantic memories. There are some barracks in the citadel of the French Légion Etrangere. These great guys always were spic-and-span dressed in the disco. I took a lot of pictures from the citadel.

And then I re-found these French soldier songs, not from the Légion but from the French Military Academy Ecole Superieure Militaire de Saint-Cyr
- Le Pékin de Bahut
- La Galette
- Les Casos

Corsica is an island and not strictly French. They have their own habits and musics and even a liberation movement. I posted this Corsican music a long time ago, but it still sound pretty OK to me. It's a kind of local folkish acapella - several male voices without music. These guys just do it on the beach, I was so lucky to hear some of them 'live' while I had my Salade Nicoise and white wine.
- A Cumpagnia, Barbara Furtuna
- Canta U Populu Corsu, Paghjella
- I Muvrini, Agnus Dei

And there was this restaurant, way up in the citadel where famous people came around. I never went inside, but it has a great story.

And there was this cheep/lousy/great back-pack 'Hotel Du Centre' near the village-square where I always stayed. It's so great & simple, I love the guy who is running this h/motel in the centre of the town.

The f*cking problem is, that I can't give you any more google-info/pix. It is probably all too 'exotic'. When you are in Europe (God Forbid) try to visit the isle of Corsica for a week or so - recommended.

Good heavens, I could go on-and-on

Enjoy

No comments: