Sunday, October 26, 2008

Prisoner


Patrick McGoohan as Nr.6 (from MI6?)

Oh yeah, this very British TV series gave me the creeps in 1967. All 17 episodes were just released on DVD and dubbed "culty" in my newspaper. I think I'm going to buy it. The story is about a secret agent who angrily quits his job and gets gassed while packing. He wakes up in "The Village" where the funny people live. They have no names, only numbers. They are the prisoners of "The Man" an anonymous totalitarian terror who tortures them with alcohol-free wodka.

Despite the sunny resort, the tone is black, rebellious, paranoid. It looks like a bad LSD trip. There's even a reference to Timothy Leary. The series was co-produced by Patrick McGoohan and it is loaded with many layers of meaning. Try to get some footage - strongly recomended. Here is the intro clip from the tube. Here is a 50:00min. American documentary with all the insights.

The Prisoner documentary - part 1.
The Prisoner documentary - part 2.
The Prisoner documentary - part 3.
The Prisoner documentary - part 4.
The Prisoner documentary - part 5.

It even has the 1967 "All You Need Is Love" song in it; yeah, yeah, yeah.

Enjoy

1 comment:

Nomad said...

http://nomadicjoe.blogspot.com/

Definitely one of my favorite shows of all time. Don't forget Rover.. as a child I recall watching that show (because of its lack of marketability for American TV, it came on very late at night on a Friday or Saturday.) I could hardly understand a thing but I recall being utterly transfixed by the style of it. Patrick was about as cool as they come too.