Friday, November 16, 2012

Religious

The St. Nicolas Church in Amsterdam is now a Basilique. That's a special kind of catholic church. We only have five or six of them in the Netherlands. You must make a reservation - well in before - to attend the Christmas Eve Mass. St. Nicolas is the Protector Saint of Amsterdam. Funny, because The Netherlands are pretty protestant, especially the northern parts.

I'm an atheist, a non-believer. I swear, I drink, I smoke and I watch movies. I think Israel can do better and I love the Jewish Princess. I think some Islam radicals are crazy and I love the Alhambra. I love the Pope, mainly because of his former German background and the Vatileaks.

Sorry, this is a semi-serious introduction to a cunning plan. I really advice everyone to proceed this steep path and keep some braincells working. It's a little daring project and takes a few hours per month. You don't have to be religious. Let's say it's part of your education.

My own next project in life. To visit at least one sermon in;

  • A mosque. There's one here just around the corner. I must talk with the (what's he called) and I must know if he's preaching in my language. You must take of your shoes and wash your feet. I love this ritual. Mind your toe-nails and your socks. That's all what I know. But there must be more. Some research to do.
  • A synagoge. Must be a lot around here in Amsterdam. It is essential that you keep your hat on in a synagoge. You can't appear bold-headed before God. That is completely opposite to a catholic or protestant church, where you must take your hat of (Joe Cocker). I have several hats. I first must find a rabbi to talk me through the rituals.
  • A basilique is a highly rewarded catholic church. The St. Nicolas church in Amsterdam is just promoted to a basilique. We have now five of them in the Netherlands. X-mess mass was the trigger. You have to make reservations nowadays. Dutch writer Gerard van het Reve went catholic and the Pope just stimulated Latin language. I like that.
  • A protestant church. It must be 50 years ago when I last visited a protestant church with my mother. I'm not going mediocre. It must be the blackest doom and hell preacher. Something like Jerry Falwell. Hard to find in Amsterdam.

Protestant church history in the Netherlands is facinating literature. It all started in the 1600's when we struggled our way out of the Sapnisch rule during the 80-year war and became a protestant country. First discussions were about strict or relative predestination. Since then, and up till this year, there were a lot of splits. There's a Dutch protestant website that goes black every Sunday. Whatever you may think of that, I have respect for their adherence to principles. I have no principles. The Dutch have no principles. A Belgian politician once had a good description of principles; It's like a fart that escapes without making any noise.

The Book of Mormons and the Story of Scientology are completely creepy. Sometimes I shiver and sometimes I laugh. But I always cry at the songs of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir.






= = = End of Post = = =


No comments: